Monday, March 13, 2006

Holy 15 Minutes of Fame, Batman!!

Well, how about that. My mother is listed in IMDB. Not with her own record, of course. She lost out that part in The Quiet Man to Maureen O'Hara so her acting career was not to be.

This discovery has prompted me to start uploading some more photos here. Today's highlights will include:

Sally Douglas Glamour Photo
and Sally Douglas Sultry Bombshell Publicity Shot and one of my all-time
personal favorites: Sally Douglas BBC

As for the IMDB record, I could fix a couple of things. I even have the divorce decree -- it was in my mother's papers I went through after she died -- so I know that she divorced Young in 1958. Also, his Unchained Melody wasn't just on the charts: it was a No. 1 hit, and as his own autobiography (at least the version published in the 1970s, which I found online some time in the late 1990s) admits, and as I mentioned earlier it was my mother who chose the winning take in the soundbooth.

I'm actually not a little surprised that "Sir" Jimmy got his own IMDB page. I only ever heard his radio programme through a tape made by an expat British work colleague of mine who was just so astonished that he had been married to my mother that when he went home for Christmas he made a tape for me. Horrible. Even if I hadn't inherited some of my mother's bitterness towards him, I still would have characterized it as terminally, almost transcendently, almost the very epiphany of uncoolness. Something like a cross between Casey Kasem and Paul Harvey, if you are old enough to get those American-specific references...

Perhaps I shouldn't be bitter. If Jimmy hadn't broken my mother's heart, I would never have been born. So I guess I have him and his groupies (hard to believe, I know, that someone like Jimmy young could ever have had groupies) to thank for that.


Categories: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Track with co.mments
At Thu Nov 23, 06:27:00 AM EST, Blogger Lyn Nuttall said...

I've just been listening to Sally with Geraldo's orchestra singing 'Long Ago And Far Away', a lovely, moving recording, and came to the Net to find out about the person who sang it so beautifully. I've come to the right place, and what a pleasant surprise: I've read two of your blog posts about your mother, fascinating stuff, thanks a million.

 
At Sat Nov 25, 11:53:00 PM EST, Blogger Lyn Nuttall said...

Sorry: I'd heard Sally singing 'All Through The Day' with Geraldo, not 'Long Ago And Far Away'.

By the time I made it upstairs to my computer and navigated to your site I'd confused two song titles (both Jerome Kern compositions) on the same album, though not the singer or the orchestra.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home